USA High School Choice
Options and Pricing
Further information about the pricing structure is outlined below.
The full High School Choice Program cost is the combined total of the
- School and Accommodation Price,
- Program Management Price,
- Insurance fee (US$800 year/US$400 semester) and
- Application fee (US$200).
Each of the above items will be invoiced separately. Note that the School and Accommodation Price, Insurance Fee and Application Fee will all be invoiced directly from the USA, in US dollars.
Pricing Terms & Conditions
Prices are accurate at the time of publication and are subject to change.
Each program participant will be required to sign the “Student Enrolment Agreement” which outlines the complete program terms and conditions.
The School and Accommodation Fees
The School and Accommodation Fees will be invoiced to you directly from the US. This invoice needs to be paid in US dollars.
- Tuition for 1 academic year or academic semester
- host family placement fee
- monthly host family stipend
- student arrival arrangements
- breakfast and dinner at the host family, and
- ongoing student support >
What's not included
- Fees charged by the school to all students such as locker fee, sports fees, school book costs, etc. Such fees are typically charged directly by school after program start
- Student spending money for personal purchases
- Purchase of lunch at school cafeteria
- Insurance – Insurance is not included in price and will be billed separately at the following rates: Academic Year: USD 800 NET and Academic Semester: USD 400 NET >
The Program Management Fee
The Program Management Fee will be invoiced by Student Exchange Australia New Zealand and is billed in Australian Dollars. Items included in this fee include:
- Our administrative costs
- Return economy airfare with recognised airlines from your nearest capital city
- Travel to and from your host family
- Comprehensive medical, baggage, trip cancellation insurance & personal liability
- Application process and selection interview
- Assistance with your visa application (you must pay the visa application fee)
- Host family screening and selection
- Enrolment at your host school
- Pre-departure orientation and materials, including parent and student handbooks
- Access to 'My Exchange'- a personlised online resource and reporting centre packed with info to help you prepare and make the most of your exchange
- Safety Card that lists contact details for our office staff, local coordinator, host family, regulating authority and overseas partner. These cards also contain the 24/7 emergency phone numbers.
- Arrival orientation and materials in your host country
- 24 hour emergency assistance
- Professional support throughout your time away as necessary and required
- Welcome home pack >
What’s not included
Passport and visa costs – individual students are responsible for the cost of passport and visa application. Details are available from our office.
Life’s Little Extras - while you are away, your host family will provide you with food and accommodation. However, you will need to take some extra spending money for some of life’s little extras.
Make sure you have enough for any purchases you may need including personal items, telephone bills, text books, school uniforms, gifts for family and friends and any optional excursions you may take during your time away.
Sevis fee - (US government administrative cost – approx A$265)
US visa fee - (US government fee – approx A$200)
Visa Interview - Any costs associated with attending your local US Consulate in Australia for your visa interview
If you need assistance determining how much money to take with you, call us. Our staff will be able to help you.
If you would like to find out more about our USA High School Choice Program, please complete our online enquiry form or contact a Program Manager at SEANZ on 1300 135 331 from Australia or 0800 440 079 from New Zealand to discuss your interest in this program.
Note that SEANZ reserves the right to make adjustments to Program Prices should circumstances beyond SEANZ's control warrant such a change. SEANZ also reserves the right to change or alter travel plans, program dates, program components or other arrangements including cancellations of programs or groups. Late applications may be considered. Some program destinations are subject to availability. Cancellation Penalties do apply.
Payment Structure & Schedule
School and Accommodation Fees
100% of the School and Accommodation Fee (inc. Application and Insurance fee) will be invoiced when the placement is completed, and before I-20 is sent to SEANZ. The I-20 is a form used to obtain a F1 visa.
Please note that
- Application fee and 50% of School and Accommodation fees are due within 14 days from invoice date (issued upon school acceptance)
- I-20 will be requested from school upon receipt of first payment
- Remaining balance is due upon visa approval or June 15 for Fall intake (December 1 for Spring intake), whichever comes first
- For applications received after June 15 or December 1, full payment is due within 10 days from invoice date. For applications invoiced after July 15 or December 15, the total invoice amount is due immediately.
- Host Family information and airport pick-up information will be released after full payment has been received, and full immunization records have been submitted to the USA partner.
Program Management Fees
- The $500 deposit is due when the application is submitted to our office.
- 50% of the balance of the Program Management fee is invoiced once the applicant is formally accepted onto the program.
- 50% of the Program Management fee is invoiced when the placement is completed, and before I-20 is sent to the applicant. The I-20 is a form used to obtain a F1 visa
Possible Additional Fees
- Extensions from academic semester to academic year will be charged with an extension fee of US$1500
- Host Family Change Requests initiated by student, natural family or agent may be subject to US$500 change fee
- Alternative Airport pick up fee US$250 will be charged if the student chooses to land at an airport other than what is recommended by our overseas partner
- Special diets can be accommodated, but may incur additional fees. Please inquire
- Guaranteed Single Room may be available for an additional charge of US$3,500, please inquire
Any additional fees will be invoiced to you directly from the US, in US dollars.
Applicants can extend their program for a maximum of 4 years, depending on the school.
Cancellation will only be accepted in writing and will be effective at the date received by Student Exchange Australia New Zealand Ltd. Provided all fees due up to the date of cancellation have been paid, refunds will be made in accordance with the following schedule:
- If a student is not accepted on to the program by Student Exchange Australia New Zealand Ltd – Full refund
- If a student is not accepted by the overseas partner – Full refund
- If Student Exchange Australia New Zealand Ltd cancels a program at any time prior to departure – Full refund
- If a student withdraws from the program:
- Before interview – Full refund less A$250
- After interview but before formal acceptance – Full refund less A$500
- After formal acceptance:
- After application but before I-20 application fee is paid: 50% of the Program Management Price is forfeited.
- After I-20 but before visa is issued: 50% of the Program Management Price, 10% of the School and Accommodation Price and the application fee is forfeited.
- After Student Visa is obtained but before arrival: 100% of the Program Management Price, 25% of the School and Accommodation Price and the application fee is forfeited.
- Student cancels because he/she is denied a visa: 50% of the Program Management Price and Application fee is forfeited.
- After having arrived on program: Refunds are calculated on a case by case basis. A minimum of 100% of the Program Management Price and 25% of the School and Accommodation Price and insurance and application fee is forfeited.
- If a student has to return home after commencement of the program because of serious illness of the student or serious illness or death of a member of the immediate family A$100 refund will be paid for each complete remaining month of the program.
Nothing in these terms and conditions is intended to have the effect of contracting out of the provisions of the New Zealand Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 (if applicable).