When you hear the word 'Japan', what do you think of? Does your mind fill with images of ancient temples or futuristic cities? Do you see visions of mist-shrouded hills or lightning-fast bullet trains? Whatever image you have of Japan, it's probably accurate, because it's all there. Not to mention Japan is one of the easiest countries in which to travel.
PLEASE NOTE, WE ARE CURRENTLY SOLD OUT FOR ALL PROGRAMS TO JAPAN IN 2023. THE WEBSITE WILL BE UPDATED ONCE WE HAVE SPOTS AVAILABLE. PLEASE CONSIDER 2024 DEPARTURES TO JAPAN AND PLAN AHEAD.
Overall I had a fantastic time. My host family was fantastic and they made me feel at home. Japan offers many after school club activities which were a great opportunity to meet people and involve myself in traditional Japanese activities. I loved my host family. They were very generous and always patient with me. I feel very lucky to have been placed with such lovely people.
Kirsty Rourke – Short program to Japan
My exchange… Where do I start? I think I should start with how much I have grown as a person, maturity wise and also in my independence (I traveled to Japan alone!) Since I have been here I have learnt more than I ever thought my brain could take. Before I came to Japan I didn’t really know Japanese so the moment I got off the plane was like a slap in the face, but one that I had asked for and wanted. Within a month I felt like I was home. I had friends, the best host family anyone could ever ask for and was used to Japanese life. I love learning the culture differences and visiting places that are unique to Japan. I am now half way through my exchange and I feel as if I understand the language and the people here. This has been the best experience of my life, words can't even explain, the only thing I can say is come and see for yourself!!
Penny - Year to Japan
|Short Programs||Long Programs||Language Criteria||Immunisation||Gap Year||Online Video||Scholarships||Discounts|
|Short Programs✔||Long Programs✔||Language Criteria✔||Immunisation✔||Gap Year||Online Video✔||Scholarships✔||Discounts✔|
Next available departures for Japan
|Length||Departure||Fee||Application deadline||Early Bird deadline||Scholarship deadline|
|LengthSemester||DepartureMar 2024||FeeAU $12450||Application deadline30/06/2023||Early Bird deadline31/03/2023||Scholarship deadline31/03/2023|
|LengthAcademic Year||DepartureMar 2024||FeeAU $13950||Application deadline30/06/2023||Early Bird deadline31/03/2023||Scholarship deadline31/03/2023|
|Length3 months||DepartureMar 2024||FeeAU $9950||Application deadline30/07/2023||Early Bird deadline31/03/2023|
Important Program Information
Please note that
- Japan requires a minimum of two years prior study and applicants must provide a brief, hand-written letter in Japanese to the potential host family.
- Applicants must also provide a movie of self introduction in Japanese (max. 1 minute). Please note that if your video is larger than 15MB you will need to upload your video file to dropbox, YouTube, Vimeo or hightail.com. Accepted file formats include SWF, MPG, MPEG, AVI, WMV, WAV & MOV.
- Any student who is currently in their final year of high school cannot apply for a January departure the following year. Japan does not accept recent graduates or GAP Year applicants.
- Students must be aged 15 by the 31st March in their program year. (applies to all program arrivals).
- Students must NOT be aged 18 or above by the 31st March in their program year. (applies to all program arrivals).
- The program dates for Japan are not flexible.
- Japan does not accept students who are vegan or vegetarian.
- Please check with our office if you have an allergy as this may affect your application.
- Japan will not accept students that do not meet all of the eligibility criteria, check them here.
Find out more - Attend one of our Info Sessions
If you would like to find out more information on our programs, please attend one of our free LIVE Online sessions.
- Meet our staff
- Hear comprehensive information on all aspects of exchange
- Ask questions
- Listen to questions asked by other students and parents
- Meet other students who are considering going on exchange
Information evenings run for about an hour. They are friendly and free and are the best way for us to address your specific questions in person.