United States of America
The playwright Arthur Miller once said that the essence of America was its promise. For newly arrived immigrants and jet-lagged travelers alike, that promise of America can take on near mythic proportions. America is a land of dazzling cities, towering coast redwoods, alpine lakes, rolling vineyards, chiseled peaks, barren deserts and a dramatic coastline of unrivaled beauty. And that’s just California!
My exchange was life altering. There were unbelievable highs – memories burnt into my brain forever. My schooling was a blast. So many friends, the cafeteria, the nickname inevitably was given – “Hey Australia!” I loved my host family and we still keep in touch, because we went through/experienced so much together. It was a journey of self-discovery.
Johnathan Porthill – Year program to the USA
|Short Programs||Long Programs||Language Criteria||Immunisation||Gap Year||Online Video||Scholarships||Discounts|
|Short Programs||Long Programs✔||Language Criteria||Immunisation✔||Gap Year||Online Video✔||Scholarships✔||Discounts✔|
Program Options to the USA
You have 3 program options available for your student exchange to Canada:
- Standard Exchange Program – Choose to be placed with a host family and attend a local school on a Semester or Year program.
- Standard Exchange Program with Location Options – Choose to be be placed in a specific location for an additional fee on a Semester or Year program.
- High School Choice Exchange Program – Choose from a range of regions, school districts and schools fpr a Semester or Year program. Fully participate in athletics, clubs and other extracurricular activities whilst on exchange.
Scroll down to see the next available departure dates, a list of available school districts and to understand the differences between these programs.
Standard Program Prices & Departure Dates
Next available departures for USA
|Length||Departure||Fee||Application deadline||Early Bird deadline||Scholarship deadline|
|LengthSemester||DepartureAug 2022||FeeAU $10950||Application deadline26/03/2022||Early Bird deadline31/10/2021||Scholarship deadline31/10/2021|
|LengthAcademic Year||DepartureAug 2022||FeeAU $11950||Application deadline26/03/2022||Early Bird deadline31/10/2021||Scholarship deadline31/10/2021|
|LengthSemester||DepartureJan 2023||FeeAU $10950||Application deadline30/09/2022||Early Bird deadline31/03/2022||Scholarship deadline31/03/2022|
|LengthAcademic Year||DepartureJan 2023||FeeAU $11950||Application deadline30/09/2022||Early Bird deadline31/03/2022||Scholarship deadline31/03/2022|
Important Program Information
Please note that
- An arrival soft landing camp held in New York City is available at an additional cost for August arrivals.
- Optional Program Extras such as tours are available at additional cost.
- We can NOT offer 2 or 3 month programs to the USA due to visa restrictions. 2 & 3 month programs are available to Canada and other destinations. Click here to view the list of destinations.
- Students are eligible to go to the USA if they have NOT completed more than 11 years of primary and secondary study, exclusive of kindergarten.
- Students must be at least 15 years of age, but not more than 18 years and six months when their program starts.
- Students applying for the USA need to have school grades that are consistently above average.
- Any student who is currently in their final year of high school cannot apply for a January departure the following year. The USA does not accept recent graduates or GAP Year applicants.
- Students applying for the Year program departing in January of each will complete two Semesters with the USA summer break in the middle of their school year.
- Students applying for the Semester program will complete between 4 to 5 months based on the semester calendar of the school they are attending.
- There is a separate application form for the USA, including an online portion that can be accessed from our downloads page. Please contact us using the form below if you would like one posted out to you.
- SEVIS fee of $300 is charged in addition to the program fee.
Apply Risk Free!
If you choose to enrol on one of our outbound programs but you cannot travel due to DFAT travel bans and the borders being closed, then you will only forfeit your $150 deposit. Plus you will receive the money refunded within 90 days. If you decide to cancel due to other reasons then the normal cancellation terms and conditions apply.
It's not too late to apply for a Scholarship or Early Bird Discount
Reduce the cost of your exchange program departing April - September 2022
Deadline 31st October 2021 - Save up to $1,000 off your program fee
If you are planning to go on exchange and want to reduce the price of your program, then we have some good news for you! The deadline for Scholarship & Early Bird Discount applications is 31st October 2021 for our standard programs departing between April - September 2022.
If you are applying for one of our exchange programs the easiest way to get started is by completing your pre application form. You should allow yourself at least 3 weeks to complete all sections of your full application form.
Students applying for the USA have the option to pick the location they would like to live in during their exchange for August departures only.
Students will need to complete a separate form if they’d like to select their location/s. This form is then sent with the application form to our overseas partner. If applicants are successfully placed in one of their preferred locations, then an additional location fee will be applied to the normal program price.
Providing you meet our usual eligibility criteria, your placement on one of these limited spots will be confirmed when your application is received by our office, accepted and your deposit paid.
Location selection options are subject to availability and are not guaranteed. You can view the Location Options for August 2021 departures and applicable fees by clicking here or below.
USA High School Choice Program
Choose the school you would like to study at during your exchange
Students who are looking to go on exchange to the USA have the option to apply for a semester or academic year program and choose from a range of schools or school districts in the USA.
Our USA High School Choice program allows students to enter the USA on an F1 visa. In addition to choosing where they would like to study while on exchange, the F1 visa allows the applicant to attend school on a full academic program. This provides the opportunity to gain study credits and diplomas needed to attend a University in the USA.
See above for our standard USA Exchange Program (J1 visa).
High School Choice Departure Dates*
- Year Program - August/September
- Semester Program - August/September or January
*Departure dates may vary depending on choice of school district.
The full USA High School Choice Program cost is the combined total of the School and Accommodation Price, the Program Management Price, the Insurance fee ($800USD year / $400USD semester) and Application fee ($200-$500USD). These costs will be invoiced separately, and the Schools and Accommodation Price, Insurance Fee and Application Fee is invoiced directly from the USA, in US dollars.
Note that SEANZ reserves the right to make adjustments to Program Prices should circumstances beyond SEANZ's control warrant such a change. SEANZ also reserves the right to change or alter travel plans, program dates, program components or other arrangements including cancellations of programs or groups. Late applications may be considered. Some program destinations are subject to availability. Cancellation Penalties do apply.
Find out more - Attend one of our Info Sessions
If you would like to find out more information on our programs, please attend one of our free LIVE Online sessions.
- Meet our staff
- Hear comprehensive information on all aspects of exchange
- Ask questions
- Listen to questions asked by other students and parents
- Meet other students who are considering going on exchange
Information evenings run for about an hour. They are friendly and free and are the best way for us to address your specific questions in person.